For me, today consists of staying very hydrated, stretching, and relaxing. There’s a permanent feeling of butterflies in my stomach and I know it will be there long after the finish line tomorrow – I’m just trying to contain the excitement.
One big difference between this NYC Marathon and the one I ran in 2008 is my training. I feel like I can barely call what I did in 2008 “training.” Looking back at the last 16 weeks, it gives me a much-needed confidence boost going into tomorrow.
Here’s a look back at my training by the numbers.
- Weeks in “official” training mode: 16
- Miles Run: 368 (not including tomorrow’s marathon)
- Lost Toenails: 1 (let’s hope it stays this way after tomorrow)
- Incidents of Bloody Toes: 4 (again, let’s hope this number doesn’t change)
- Brunch dates w/ Emily after long runs: 4
- Vanilla GU Packets Consumed: 31 (I think… I’ve gone through a case + about 5-7 extras)
- Tiger Balm Jars Used: 2.5
- Ice baths / Bags of Ice: 7 / 20
- Pairs of running shoes: 2
- Tweets regarding NYCM: Way too many to count, sorry Twitter
- Massages: 2 (oh, how I wish this number were higher)
- Runs During Which I Saw the Sun Rise: 6 (thought this number would be higher)
- Weekly Training Recaps: 15 (16 after tomorrow) – check ‘em here
- Time Left Until I Run My Third Marathon:
- Bib Number: 35681
- Next Up? 26.2